Kariong 0 – 1 Wyoming

A nine-point Sunday for Ian McAndrews’s side sees Wyoming climb out of the relegation zone after defeating Kariong away from home in the round 17 match of the round.

Both teams knew before kick-off exactly how big a win for their club could be in terms of playing BPL football next season. The game started very even as both teams had opportunities but Kariong would enjoy more of the possession and would create the better of the chances. However, Wyoming’s goalkeeper Tom Coventry denied the opposition’s attack multiple times, pulling off two clutch saves to keep the score level after the opening 45 minutes of play.

After a problematic first half, Wyoming fixed up their defensive problems and this allowed the Tigers to enjoy the run of the game in the second period. The game looked to be heading for a stalemate as only a few minutes were remaining on the clock. However, for the second time this year, Wyoming captain Matt Hall was able to convert his chance as he slipped the ball into the bottom corner to deliver Wyoming the only goal of the game and secure all three points.

Ryan Finch described he felt his team was the better side for the majority of the match but an inability to finish chances cost them dearly. “A game of multiple missed chances cost us the three points. For 85% of the game, we were the better side, creating plenty of opportunities to score but failed to do so. In a game where one team is so wasteful, it always leaves the door open for the other team and that was exactly what happened. Well done to Wyoming on their 9-point Sunday.”

Ian McAndrew commented on how much the win in all three grades meant and how they must use this as a foundation for the rest of the season. “It was a massive weekend for us taking all points in all three grades, we now need to build on this next week. Credit to Kariong who fought hard in all games.”


Southern Ettalong 6 – 2 Terrigal

The Almighty Keith Gumbs finally ends his goal-scoring drought as he delivers a hat trick to help steer Southern Ettalong to an empathic win over their rivals Terrigal.

Having only had one game in the last five weeks along with limited training sessions, Southern Ettalong went into the clash against third-placed Terrigal knowing they would have to start well and on the front foot. Start well they did when they took the lead after 7 minutes when Jack Elwood, after winning the ball in the middle of the park, found Keith Gumbs in space on the right who slipped a well-timed pass to Matt Caisley who rounded the Terrigal keeper to open the scoring. Southern doubled their lead 4 minutes later when central defender Todd Balneaves found Charlie Polson with a diagonal pass in behind the Terrigal defence. Charlie in turn finished with a calm execution into the right-hand corner of the net. Terrigal showed why they sit third on the ladder when they got back to 2-1 thanks to Ben Flakus who struck the ball from the edge of the area to reduce the deficit. After conceding, Southern settled into a good rhythm and cohesion with and without the ball. An under waited back pass to the Terrigal keeper was chased down by Keith Gumbs and after a deflection from the keeper, Keith finished first time with his left foot to extend Southern’s lead to 3-1. However, once again the O’lads fought back through Erik Riquelme who gave Terrigal hope before halftime, scoring off a corner to finish an exciting and entertaining first half.

Straight after the halftime break, Keith Gumbs pounced onto a through ball to clinically drive his shot past the Terrigal goalkeeper to again have his side extend their lead to two goals. The contest remained even until the 80th minute when again Todd Balneaves found Charlie Polson with a well-executed pass who then played square to Jacob Lepre who blasted the ball into the roof of the net to make it 5-2. Keith Gumbs completed a well-deserved hat trick when he converted from the penalty spot with less than 5 minutes to go to make the final score 6-2.

Terrigal coach Martyn Griffiths will now turn his attention towards next weekend after their disappointing loss to rivals Southern. “Miles off it today! We move on to next week.”

Dale Eggleton was happy with his team’s performance but admits they must be even better when they face the league leaders next weekend. “We were good today in attack and defence but need to be better again next week when we travel to take on the undefeated Killarney. I have no doubt Terrigal will feature at the end of season final games and make their presence felt.”

MATCH OFFICIAL – Miles Allen-Scott

Avoca 3 – 2 The Entrance

Avoca clinches all three points after a late goal from the in-form Tyler Wade hands the Entrance their fifth straight loss which sees the Reddies drop into the relegation zone. 

Pluim Park hosted the opportunity for both teams to play at a high level of football on a flat surface. Avoca would find the back of the net first after a cross into the area was nicely finished by returning captain Nixon Jowett. The Entrance team then rallied together and equalised through the rapid Ashton Hurley who was able to finish nicely to give his side their first goal of the game. However, Avoca would lead at halftime after a long-range shot from Cooper Ebrington and an error from the Entrance goalkeeper saw Avoca enter the halftime break 2-1 up.

The second half saw both teams continue to try and play a high level of football, creating nice passages of play and creating equal opportunities. The Entrance would get back on level terms once again when Will Bowden provided an assist to Bayley Hosford who made no mistake of his opportunity. Avoca eventually found the winner through a well-taken goal by new golden boot leader Tyler Wade to give the Sharks their fourth win of the season.

Ray Seers stated his squad was upset and disappointed with the loss after being so close to sharing the points. “It was definitely a great game of football. It was breaking for the boys to not get a result today but that’s football. Co-coach Rob and I couldn’t have asked for more from the players. It just wasn’t our day today.”

Neal Hide spoke about the opposition in a very high and positive manner. “The Entrance has improved from earlier in the season and will continue to trouble teams, especially with the speed of their forwards. A great reaction from Avoca after the humiliation of such a heavy defeat the previous weekend, this said much about the Avoca teams quality, desire, and integrity.”

MATCH OFFICIAL – David Richardson

Kanwal 1 – 1 Berkeley Vale

A battle between second and fourth saw these two clubs split the points in their round 17 fixture as Berkley Vale could not overcome a 10-men Kanwal side.

It was a cautious start by both teams as Berkeley Vale was comfortable in their defensive set-up, allowing Kanwal to enjoy the better of possession and field position. Although the Bulls dominated possession, the Wombats would only look phased in defence on the opposition’s set pieces when Brad Porter was delivering dangerous balls in their box. In the 33rd minute, a Brad Porter corner allowed Kanwal to take the lead after the ball was turned into his own goal by a Berkeley Vale defender. However, things would soon turn for Kanwal a few minutes after getting the lead when Lachlan Walker was given his marching orders for pulling down Berkeley’s John Griffin who was deemed to be denied a goal-scoring opportunity. Although Kanwal was down to 10 men, the Bulls continued to dominate for the remainder of the first half but couldn’t find another goal as the score remained 1-0.   

Halftime saw Berkeley Vale enter the second period with a change of tactics which allowed the Wombats to gain more possession and create multiple chances but once again struggled to find the back of the net like in recent weeks. Kanwal should have doubled their lead through Joey Liddle, but he was unable to put his shot on target after some excellent build-up play from Mason Lavery and Brad Porter. A second yellow card to Alex Arbelo evened things up as both teams would be forced to finish the game with a player down. With limited opportunities for both teams, Berkeley Vale would receive a penalty for handball and newly appointed captain Nathan Blunden would step up and convert to level the score and share the points the opposition as the game finished 1-1.

“After losing twice to Kanwal this season, we were well aware that they are a young team riding high on how well their season is going and the trip to Kanwal was going to be a tough one, particularly for us with again having no ability to again on a pitch with all facilities available to our club closed because of the wet weather. Congrats to Ryan and the Kanwal boys for sitting where they are in the competition at the moment, it was a tough game but played in good spirits,” stated Wombats head coach Mark Pratt.

Ryan Walker was disappointed with the result. “Given my team had many of the significant decisions go against us and we played a long period of the game with ten men. I was content to walk away with a draw. Good luck to Berkeley, they came with a specific game plan and stuck to the plan and walked away with something.”


Killarney 4 -1 Woongarrah

Woongarrah couldn’t hold on to an early lead as the Terriers come from behind for the first time this season to continue their unbeaten run.

It was a fast-paced game from the get-go with end-to-end football played in the opening 10 minutes by both teams. Woongarrah would get on top early and enjoy more possession that would lead to some great opportunities, but the Wildcats failed to make the most of these chances until Bailey Koopman would finally find the back of the net and give the travelling side a 1-0 lead. Woongarrah were moments away from carrying their lead into the break but a mistake in their backline would gift Killarney the ball as Tim Knight finished a cross from the left into the roof of the net for his first goal this season.

Woongarrah started the second period slowly and the league leaders make them pay as Tim Knight would grab his second of the day with a neat finish in the bottom corner after a nice lead-up play down the right. Woongarrah fought hard to find an equaliser but would not have any luck as two of Killarney’s substitutes Nathan Baxter and Adam Woodbine would unite and allow Woodbine to score with his right foot for the first time ever against 10 men as Woongarrah was assessing an injured player. Just minutes later, the goal scorer then turned provider as Woodbine’s cross found Ethan Hall who powerfully headed the ball into the back of the net for the game’s final goal.

Luke Rogers stated that you must take your chances against a side like league leaders Killarney as their missed opportunities cost them this past Sunday. “Very pleased to have created so many chances against the team with the best defence in the competition in the first half. To only find the net once after a dominant opening 45 was very disappointing and cost us. It shows why Killarney are undefeated cause if you don’t take your chances, they will make you pay, and they did that and in the end, they deserved all three points.”

Once again Chris Ackerley was happy with his team’s performance as he now looks to another big game next weekend. “Pleasing result to continue our winning run, another huge game next week against Southern who need to keep winning to cement their spot in semi-finals.”

MATCH OFFICIAL – Anthony Kabbout

Golden Boot Standings –

8Tyler Wade (Avoca)
7Chris Lennon (Kariong), Mahkye Brownlie (Terrigal), Adam Woodbine (Killarney)
6Stuart Adams (Terrigal), Jayden Rogers (Woongarrah), Jack Ellwood (Southern), Andy Klijn (Killarney)

Points Table –

Club Championship –


Round 17 Results –

Points Table –

Club Championship –